For Sale 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom 3 – NOW SOLD!
Sportsmans Sedanca by H.J.Mulliner
- Year 1937
- Mileage 127,000 miles
- Engine V12
- Body Sportsmans Sedanca
We are pleased to offer for sale this 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom 3 Sportsmans Sedanca by H.J.Mulliner. A 4-5 seater with a smaller passenger cabin than those with folding additional seats, this allows a more elegantly sloping rear and the only P3 built to this design.
Our client purchased the vehicle in 2011 from Rolls-Royce specialists, “The Real Car Company”. The previous owner, a Mr George Peake, undertook an engine rebuild, partial re-wiring and a full bare metal respray in two-tone metallic grey. The interior is entirely original and in excellent condition. The vehicle maintains a temperature of 75-85c with good oil pressure. The central lubrication system works throughout, as does the hydraulic ride adjustment. All gauges work except the clock, the trafficators have been disconnected and discreet turn signals fitted at the rear. The tool kit is complete and the vehicle comes with the original manual as well as an extensive file, pretty much from new. The car has two-tone Ace discs all around, and the Firestone tyres were new in 2011. The mileage is 127,000 from new.
The current owner has maintained this P3 regardless of cost and during his ownership has carried out the following works:
- thorough cleaning and refurbishment of the radiator; this was costly due to the difficulty of dismounting and remounting the unit, but dropped the running temperature by 10 degrees celsius.
- Replacement of the temperature measuring system
- Rebuilding of the dynamo, alternator and regulator, together with a partial rewiring
- Respraying of the rear as well as both rear wings to correct some cracking to the paint
- Discreetly fitting electronic overdrive, using the fog light knob to actuate; this allows effortless cruising on the splendid French Routes Nationales at 80 kms/hr. The client retains the original driveshaft which will come with the car, so this can be reversed.
- Rejuvenated black leather on the front seats with Swissöl creams, some leather repair to the drivers seat, some re-stitching of the backrest panels was also carried out by a saddler.
- A KM speedometer was installed (a proper one with RR logo) according to Swiss law.
- Most recently the water pump has been rebuilt and some piping from the radiator to the engine as well as the exhaust system replaced.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a slight weeping of coolant from the left side of the engine, at the top of the block. This we suspect, is due to the cylinder heads not being re-tightened after the engine rebuild, the seller informs us that this does not affect the running and the car has been used for several trips to Paris from it’s home in Basel and is driven at least once a month locally. The car is always kept in a dry garage.
This is a unique opportunity to own what is now becoming a very rare and desirable Rolls-Royce. A very quiet and reliable P3 that has had a vast amount of money lavished upon it and the new owner can only benefit from that, with that added advantage of overdrive to enjoy lazy continental touring. The car is located in Basel, Switzerland or by appointment here in South West France.
Any inspection is welcomed and encouraged, we are able to supply parts and maintain this Rolls-Royce to the exacting high standards these cars demand.